Throughout 2019, we have directly supported 262 people who are either homeless or unemployed.
Some examples of actual help include:
- Donated toiletries to two local charities who support people in the city center. This included hats and gloves, toothpaste, sanitary products, enough for 100 people.
- 30 Sets of gloves and socks donated to a local charity who offer food and drink in the evenings.
- Bought a basic mobile phone for a young homeless teenager who was homeless and looking to start college.
- Signposted a young woman who was recently homeless to local services and monitored progress
- Donated four beds to A Bed Every Night
2019 was a busy year for Pledge. Throughout the year we made significant progress in terms of increasing the number of people we help, and all this without substantial costs. Most of the work was completed by volunteers, who helped with marketing, distribution and collecting donations. We were also very lucky to be able to distribute three contactless donations boxes, which are years ahead of the time.
The end of 2019 was the busiest yet for donations of clothing and items for the homeless. We saw a massive influx towards the end of December, and we are still distributing these items.
We have spent a lot of time increasing the number of volunteers that joined Pledge, and they have helped with things from content, social media, search engine optimisation, and strategy.
While Pledge is still small, we wanted to acknowledge the impact of our volunteers and look forward to seeing how they can help make a difference in 2020.